Costa Rica sits close to the equator, between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. This is why you won’t find much of a temperature variation in the region. There are mainly two seasons: dry or the high season and rainy or the green season. What you don’t expect is the microclimates in between the two. Temperatures can vary widely throughout the day, getting cooler with elevation. However, there’s no escaping the sun, no matter how hot, cool or humid it is. Pack up accordingly. Below are some of our suggestions:
Packing Essentials for Costa Rica
- Stick to one piece of luggage if possible, especially if you’re not planning to spend more than two weeks there. Carry-on bags and purses can hold smaller accessories such as your travel documents, wallet, and keys. A large, strong, but lightweight backpack is best to carry around than a bulky suitcase.
- Easy-to-wash and dry clothes that don’t need ironing are best to pack. It’s hot and humid most of the year. Wear clothes that won’t lock in sweat and heat. T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, swimsuits, sundresses, skirts, shirts, and light trousers will keep you comfortable. Carry one or two long-sleeved shirts or a water-resistant jacket for chilly evenings in higher altitudes if you plan to go there. Carry enough cotton undergarments and socks. Pack a small hand towel or two along with a bigger one. Don’t forget a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Comfortable, thick-soled strap-on sandals for trekking and water activities, flip flops for the beach and trekking shoes for adventure tours are good. If you plan to go hiking through the rainforest, a pair of rugged boots are advisable.
- A strong waterproof sunscreen (at least 60 SPF), insect repellant and hygiene products are a must. If you run out or forget any of these, you will find them all in grocery stores around the city, but the prices could be higher than in your home country.
- Carry a small water bottle wherever you go. A medicine-kit is essential with a doctor’s prescription if you’re on any particular medication to get through customs and security at airports. Pain-killers such as Advil or Tylenol, dimenhydrinate (Gravol), anti-allergic medications such as Benadryl or Claritin and anti-nausea tablets are a must. Keep them all in a waterproof case.
- Don’t forget Kleenex tissues, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper.
- Wi-fi helps you stay connected. Carry a charging cable and Smartphone. Download iCloud or DropBox to store your pictures on-the-go.
- Print copies of your travel documents and identity documents. Don’t forget to remove international calling charges before you fly out.
Packing Items to Avoid in Costa Rica
- Leave your umbrella at home. Carry a water-resistant poncho instead for outdoor activities such as ziplining, white water rafting or trekking.
- If you have a Smartphone or iPad, avoid carrying a laptop.
- Avoid packing any kind of jewelry.
- Avoid carrying heavy books, including guidebooks. The internet carries all information.
- Most of Costa Rica does not accept travelers’ cheques. It’s better to carry cash and credit cards.
Ready to go? Call AXR Jaco for exciting pre-planned packages designed to help you experience Costa Rica to the fullest at affordable prices. We are happy to work with you on custom packages that include ATV Tours to optimize your experience. Browse through our website to know more and book your trip.
COSTA RICA JACO TOURS | COSTA RICA JACO ATV TOURS | COSTA RICA JACO VEHICLE RENTALS | COSTA RICA JACO BACHELOR PARTIES | JACO COSTA RICA | COSTA RICA PHOTOGRAPHER | JACO PHOTOGRAPHER | COSTA RICA JACO | JACO TOURS | VEHICLE RENTALS JACO | ATV ADVENTURES JACO | COSTA RICA JACO CROCODILE TOURS | COSTA RICA FISHING CHARTERS | COSTA RICA MANUEL ANTONIO | COSTA RICA JACO HORSEBACK | COSTA RICA JACO MONKEY TOUR | COSTA RICA JACO SURF LESSONS | COSTA RICA TORTUGA ISLAND | TORTUGA ISLAND COSTA RICA | COSTA RICA TRANSPORTATION | COSTA RICA WHITE WATER RAFTING | COSTA RICA JACO ZIP LINE | COSTA RICA WEB DESIGN | ATV TOURS JACO | JACO ATV TOURS | ATV ADVENTURE JACO | JACO ATVS | FULL DAY TOURS JACO | SIDE BY SIDE TOURS JACO |